The latest news from around the world.
Will-I-Am
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: eMule & uTorrent

CCleaner Security Software Infects 2 Million Computers

Post by Will-I-Am » September 19th 2017 - 4:03 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/ccleaner-secu ... s-11042928

The "illegally modified" version of the CCleaner anti-malware program was available for a month before the hack was detected.

Spectre
Spectre

Re: CCleaner Security Software Infects 2 Million Computers

Post by 1984 » September 22nd 2017 - 6:22 pm

i get mine from piriform site directly and my antivirus found something, on two different computers. unfortunate, I've been using this since 2004.

dcyel
Le Freak
Le Freak
P2P Clients: eMule ZZUL

Post by dcyel » September 22nd 2017 - 10:21 pm

Strange, my two former versions nor the current version weren't infected.

drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
P2P Clients: eMule
Azureus

Post by drcoolmor » October 13th 2017 - 4:30 pm

from computeractive October issue:

What happened?
A recent version of the junk-removal tool CCleaner, was hacked. Piriform, which makes the program, said that version 5.33 had
been “illegally modified” to allow hackers to download the Floxifmalware on to users’ PCs. Tis can steal information such as the computer’s name and what software is installed.
Released on 15 August, version 5.33 was available to download until 12 September, when Piriform detected “suspicious activity”. It’s thought that 2.27 million people installed it during this time, although only those running 32bit Windows PCs were at risk. Te hack didn’t affect the Android version of CCleaner.
In a blog (www.snipca.com/25643) Hacked version of CCleaner Piriform’s Paul Yung said that the server hosting the malware had been taken down, removing the immediate danger.
He said there was no evidence hackers were able to use the malware. The hack came just a month after Piriform was bought by antivirus company Avast.
How can you stay safe?
First, check if you were infected by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\Piriform\Agomo in the Windows registry and looking for MUID and TCID entries.If you see these, it means you downloaded CCleaner 5.33 between 15 August and 12 September, and must
update it immediately.
The free version of the program doesn’t update automatically, so to do it yourself visit www.piriform.com/ccleaner and click
the green Download button.
You can check which version of CCleaner you have by opening the program and looking at the number atthe top left. Anything numbered 5.34
and above is safe. The hack may have affected 32bit PCs only, but those with 64bit PCs should probably update too,
just to be on the safe side.

Return to “World News”