Should Phantom stay on facebook?

A place to relax. General discussions go here.

Should Phantomp2p stay on facebook?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 71

carpe
The Sharing Sith
The Sharing Sith
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.4?)
Location: Take a left at the bathroom, 3 doors down and another left...or was that a right...Is that my Beer?

Should Phantom stay on facebook?

Post by carpe » May 20th 2010 - 7:23 am

Since theres some controversy heres another poll :cheers:

If you haven't seen the page go to facebook and check it out. There's no mention of ed2k or the danish forum(although of course indirectly danevang is represented)

The facebooks page is meant to attract new members to the site as activity in all sections has been steadily dropping for more than a year. It showcases the art and community aspect of the site and does not mention ed2k or links of any sort although i agree some may come here and be exposed to ed2k and disaprove, those that are really looking for 'us' know how to find us :wink2: a simple google search will do it. I'll also point out that our host [TVU} and other sites are already on facebook as well.

Bottom line is it was an idea i had to promote the site. I dont know if the danish side has experienced the steady decline in activity as the english side but i wanted to try this to see if it would boost the gfx and general activity on this side. No one on facebook has to disclose what there user name is on phantom.

We'll let this pole run indefinitely and maybe even move it to the open forum, if the votes swing to removing the page from facebook after a couple days then I'll close the page on facebook. I'll set it so that members can change there vote if they decide to based on any discussion that may occur. fair enough? :sparta:

Ionut
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.50a) [MorphXT v12.6]

Re: Should Phantom stay on facebook?

Post by Ionut » May 20th 2010 - 9:35 am

I agree with Erica, I think it would be nice, but it's far to risky...

Freak2

Post by Freak2 » May 20th 2010 - 9:42 am

Erica wrote:Like yesterday when I found out for the first time that this was in the making I vote no today, even had a good nights sleep and still vote no.
In february we had a debate on Danevang about using Facebook and it was shout down by just about everybody. Lots of people said they would leave DV and I dont blame them as I would be one of them.
On my facebook list of friends I have people I dont need to have knowing about me being a pirate and I certainly dont need them to know that I'm an admin cause that will cost me my job. Pirates are hunted in Denmark.
I dont give much for the argument that php and DV isnt mentioned, cause once people follew the link (that includes the word php btw) its not gonna take them long to find the filesharing and DV.
Couldn't have said that better....

I as well voted no, and can't see any reason to change that..

The faster this Facebook page gets removed the better... What we are doing here are illegal, and not well seen in Denmark. Even though you do not mention ed2k you do mention p2p in the name... This is drawing unwanted attention to the site, and is not the way to get new members...

As I wrote on Danevang, I have stopped eMule, and will not release as long as this Facebook page exist...

Ionut
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.50a) [MorphXT v12.6]

Post by Ionut » May 20th 2010 - 9:54 am

Freak2 wrote:As I wrote on Danevang, I have stopped eMule, and will not release as long as this Facebook page exist...
Several other releasers has done the same...

Girls Gone Wild
Spectre
Spectre

Post by Girls Gone Wild » May 20th 2010 - 10:06 am

NO to facebook :sparta: :no: :ranty: :kuku:
Sig/Av By tHEbaSsMAn
There Are No Stupid Questions, Just Stupid People.

ln
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.4?)

Post by ln » May 20th 2010 - 10:36 am

This has got to be the worst idea I've seen in a long time. :kuku:
Voted no!
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

kronik249
Timelord
Timelord

Post by kronik249 » May 20th 2010 - 11:53 am

im tending to go no as well sorry, facebook in general is causing a lot of trouble in many places, just the other week a young girl met up with a man who obviously wasnt who he said he was and led her astray and then murdered her ::-(: it may have nothing to do with this poll but facebook is getting to be a dangerous place if your not careful :no:
Thanx for sig/av T4S

Kael
Elite Supremo Member
Elite Supremo Member

Post by Kael » May 20th 2010 - 12:05 pm

I've never seen so many Danish folk in one place before. :lol1:

I wanted to reply to the other poll but carpe locked it down to create another. Typical carpe. :roll:

Not sure I fully understand the whole no to facebook side.
Erica wrote:On my facebook list of friends I have people I dont need to have knowing about me being a pirate and I certainly dont need them to know that I'm an admin cause that will cost me my job.
You don't have to join the phantom facebook group though. That way you can still live your double life.

moeke
Awesomely Animated
Awesomely Animated

Post by moeke » May 20th 2010 - 12:12 pm

i am not a facebook user and never will be because i don't like that kind of sites so i am not objective in this matter
if it should stay or not :hmm:
so have a blanc vote on this

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » May 20th 2010 - 12:19 pm

sorry, but I don't understand the hysteria about this at all :dunno:

If person X become a fan of the phantom FB group, how does that make anyone here less safe exactely ?
It's person X that's displaying his real name on facebook - & that's their individual choice no ? :dunno:

Also, what about our host TVundergound being on facebook ? Why did no-one complain about that ?

Also, I for one am a bit tired of the constantly negative reactions to everything we propose to increase activity here. Whether it's torrents, other filesharing methods or this latest idea of a facebook group, whatver we suggest is turned down

So let me ask all you people that voted no on this & the other filesharing methods issue :
How do YOU think we should get more people in here ? It's easy to criticize, but less easy to come up with constructive & concrete ideas, huh ?

Or maybe we should just do nothing as usual & let the site continue it's slow death ( which means an end to danevang by the way )

*** Rant over ***

the.cc
Dansk Team
Dansk Team
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.4?)Sivka? maybe..

Post by the.cc » May 20th 2010 - 12:40 pm

Great to se so many Danes "on the other side".... :Dancer:
And a big HI... to all other members!

My problem with the FB thing is the Attention....the wrong one.
I would love to se a bunch of new members.... but FB is NOT the way......
as i wrote on Danevang, i know that if they want to hunt us down they can do it regardless..... But to make yourself an easy target on FB for freinds famely and antipiracey groups...hm....?
Ofcourse i dont make Piracy and dont endulge to it...... :embarrased:
But i dont need the "spot" on me or phantomp/Danevang.
Then we all will be at risk...

In Denmark we tend to share alot of privacy on FB and forget the konsekvenses.....but with this thing alot of Danevang's users are carefull... as we should be.
For now i recomend a closure of that FB page and awaits the discusion and Poll.....
Then we can decide our fate on Phantomp/danevang atleast as Releaser.....

In the mean time i will stay on Danevang/phantomp as a G-Mod and wait for a Decision.

:sparta:
Mvh
The.cc
Dont look back....But make ready for the next to come..
A BIG thanx to tHEbaSsMAn for the cool sig....
A member of the DK/phantom P2P..

Cyence
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: Mldonkey for Qnap

Post by Cyence » May 20th 2010 - 1:31 pm

I vote a clear NO. I am not personally using fb anymore, since i learned about all the things they do or can do with the information gathered from the users on fb.

But primarily I am voting no, because as others have mentioned before me, this would be drawing too much attention to phantom, and not the good kind in my belief.

Antipiracy people can find the site without fb, true, and current members of phantom can just choose not to sign up to the phantom fb group.
But who knows what the people behind fb can do - or be forced to do when pressured enough. Connect one ip from the fb profile to an ip using phantom? Collect random fb user names from the same ip range as users from phantom that just happened to look at the fb profile? I don't know, nobody does.
All I know is that in my opinion it is way too risky to start attracting attention through facebook.

There got to be other ways to attract new users!

/Cyence

Return to “The Tavern”