The Saga Of Mr Noodles

A place to relax. General discussions go here.
hrmwrm

The Saga Of Mr Noodles

Post by hrmwrm » June 9th 2016 - 6:58 am

welcome. this, is mr noodles.

mr noodles showed up during the day a few months ago while i was at work.

this is mr noodles with fluffy, my fixed male kitty.

now, mr noodles is a stray that seems to have taken a shine to mr fluffy when he started coming around here. so, at first, my wife and daughter started referring to what is now mr noodles as mrs cat. (my wifes affectionate nickname for fluffy is Mr Cat. you get the idea)
so, as my wife noticed him, and not of the known neighbourhood cats, took to feeding him and slowly worked up to being able to touch him.
as she started getting close to him, she noticed him from behind, and hence the need for a name change.

so my daughter was having lunch and thought up mr noodles, which she cooked for luunch. :lol1:
well, my wifes good intentions sometimes cause problems, as mr noodles became closer, she thought she'd get some pour on bug killer from the vet to help with ear mites. well, that led to an ear infection for him from dead bugs.but from scratching, his ear was starting to puff up like a balloon.so, the race was on to catch him.
she had gotten quite close to him by now, and even so had i. even i was now able to pet him some.

so, on the day in question, i was going to try and grab him. but, my wife being who she is, tried earlier and failed , now making him skittish again. i gave a slight attempt, but couldn't really get on him while eating. so, a new plan was made. decided to try food being thrown into the cat cage, stand back, and let him slowly get trusting going in/out quick getting the treats.
my wife and i even practiced a bit grabbing the cage at the front if we had to to tip him in.

while i was away at work, my wife tried the slow trust method, and after about his fourth time in, my wife was next to the cage and closed the door.
good. no drama this time. so, off to mr vetrinarian, to get fixed up and get healthy again. well, in the vets office, they wouldn't listen to my wife to close the door, and while trying to remove mr noodles, mr noodles jumped up the shelves of the next room, after going through the open door. :lol1:

so, up into the drop ceiling he went. and this is closing time for them. the vet put some drugged food out for him, and caught him by the next morning, and he is now on the way to rcovery and health. my wife is going to pick him up tomorrow and bring him home. a cage is set up down stairs, which is big enough to fit a st bernard with room to move. this is to let him adapt to the scent and sounds of his new home. and time to re-establish a trust with him as he heals and feels better. (his ear had to be stiched back together, as the swelling was like a blister of the whole ear skin. his ear was a ballon)

time also for other pets here to adapt to the presence of him. fluffy and cutie have been around him outside so it shouldn't be a problem to them. it's the princess angel that's going to be the one to watch for awhile. she'll accept him in the long run, she'll just let you know she's not happy about it. :lol1:

we'll see. he might not adapt to a home life and have to be let back out. but the way he came looking for friends, and adapted to getting attention fairly easy, makes me think he'll fit in pretty quick. if he hadn't taken a liking to our cats and showed up to be with them, he'd still be homeless.
my wife just thought it so cute how he followed fluffy around everywhere.
so, like fluffy and cutie as kittens were rescued from outside , she thought another deserved a home. :buds:

moeke
Awesomely Animated
Awesomely Animated

Re: The Saga Of Mr Noodles

Post by moeke » June 9th 2016 - 9:29 am

its very kind of you and the family to take care of a homeless cat hope he will stay for many years :-)

Misterscruff
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by Misterscruff » June 9th 2016 - 12:32 pm

Though Im not a cat lover more of a dog lover, I commend you for your kind nature in giving an animal a new house. :ok:

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » June 11th 2016 - 5:27 am

mr noodles is home now. he's in the big cage in the basement.
being feral, he had to be kept in a segragated area at the vets, as noises can cause his flight response.and you don't need a crazy cat in a cage at a vets office. he got his final shots today as he was sedated to get him home.
other than 1 time he had a slight reaction to me, he's mostly settled in and is accepting pets from all family members again.
fluffy escaped downstairs once on us, and met mr noodles again, so some introductions are already made.
mr noodles was intersted at first, then got a little skittish, so we took fluffy away. but mr noodles knows his friend is here now. and all before he came fully out of sedation.
the rest of his life is much better. :buds: :hippy:

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » June 11th 2016 - 10:39 pm

first day went well, and last night we didn't hear a thing from him. very exited to see his "keepers".
i truly think he was a cat with a home at one time who got left or left out by somebody and has had to fend for himself for awhile.
the way he accepts attention so easy once he trusts you makes me think he was around humans before.
my wife went down awhile ago and opened the cage to clean it up, and he doesn't even really want out as long as he gets attention.
so maybe he's not completely feral, just mistrusting.

he definitely has a different personality for a wild cat. :buds:
i just want to put it up that i don't think he'll have a problem fitting in.
just a couple days or so for training him and aquainting him with the smells and noises, and we'll probably let him loose in the basement, and in a few weeks start the pet introductions. :hippy:

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » June 12th 2016 - 4:03 am

a picture of him at home in his home for now. you can see his ear repaired as best as can be for now. it might stiffen and straighten out a bit, but will probably always have a bit of a fold to it.
had his best sleep of his life last night. no more fear of attackers, or bugs crawling in your ears, nor in the segregation unit at the vets.
(it's taken through the open cage door)

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » June 13th 2016 - 1:13 am

stupid incident from me this morning had him climb the wall and a bunch of junk and he ended up in the space above the concrete basement wall, betwen floor joists. he wandered under my legs while cleaning his litter. when i tried to grab him to put him in his cage, he twisted and jumped, and scrambled up the wall.
shopping trip later, he was still there, but didn't fight me grabbing him and getting him down.
first hurdle in domestication is over. it's just amazing how affectionate he is though.
loves attention, i was laying sideways and petting him, when he stood up, came over, smelled my nose, and proceeded to clean it for me.
just gonna be a bit tempering his wild flight response. as he gains more trust, it should recede. :hippy:

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » June 14th 2016 - 8:02 am

here i am with the "feral" kitty. he enjoys a back scratch.
still a little jittery about noises unfamiliar to him, but essentially tame. it would be easier for all if he wasn't coming in to a "full" house already.
although he has a new crawl in house he just loves. kinda like an open door pup tent for him. i was rubbing his tummy while he was lying in there, and it's nice and warm in there.

moeke
Awesomely Animated
Awesomely Animated

Post by moeke » June 14th 2016 - 9:31 am

good to hear he is getting closer to you . think time will do the rest

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » June 20th 2016 - 1:25 am

well, the cage is out now, and he's free running in the basement. found a little cubbyhole amongst some boxes to hide into now.
doesn't reveal himself to just me yet, but comes out no problem for the wife. i think he still blames me from last sunday that he was still in the cage til yesterday. :lol1:
he slowly wouldn't come out of his house for attention from me anymore by thursday. unlike in the last picture. but it could be just i didn't have as much time to spend with him over the work week.
doesn't matter either way. he's safe and integrating just fine. now to just wait til he gets comfortable with his new surroundings.
once he trusts you, he loves human interaction.
he's got this thing with me about cleaning my fingers all the time. doesn't do it to the wife.
don't know if he's affectionate or giving me a hint. :lol1:

carpe
The Sharing Sith
The Sharing Sith
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.4?)
Location: Take a left at the bathroom, 3 doors down and another left...or was that a right...Is that my Beer?

Post by carpe » June 20th 2016 - 5:34 pm

Good job man! :cheers:

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » June 20th 2016 - 10:59 pm

thanks carpe. spent some time yesterday with him, and today i've the afternoon off, so I'm sitting with him some more.
he's coming back out for just me again. hissed at me once this morning when i went down first thing to feed him some breakfast.
hasn't hissed since.

to me it was worth the $500 in vet bills. that's surgery for his ear, neutering, all shots, and a couple day stay in the vet office. and blood work to be sure he has no diseases.
being in the wild animal section, i wasn't charged for the stay. they couldn't open the cage to do anything for him, lest he escape. it was a pretty gross stay, but i can't blame the vet. mr noodles had to be sedated to do anything. so it was a pretty traumatic 4 days for the little guy.
so, i understand his trust issues. :buds:

it'll be quite sometime before he's ready for introduction to the rest of the family . he's gonna need to be very comfortable in his surroundings before that can happen i think. to see him is to understand how ptsd works.
any noise or voice a little too loud.
mind you, it's only been a week and a half so far. I'm sure in the not to distant future we'll have a sweet little house cat from him. :happy: :hippy:

Return to “The Tavern”