Post-Install Photoshop

Want to know how to make the most out of your creations? Here is the place to check!

Moderator: MarrowMan

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post-Install Photoshop

Post by dukster64 » April 25th 2008 - 9:30 pm

So you've just installed photoshop ? Congrats to you on taking your first steps in the world of digital art !

But what do you do now ? where & how do you install additional fonts, brushes, shapes, etc ?
This is where this short tut comes in : it will hopefully give you some pointers on some basic ways to improve your software with additional content.

Let's get started :wink:

1 - Installing fonts

You basically have 3 choices :
a) - install the fonts in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder : the fonts will be usuable in every application that supports them, not just photoshop

b) - install them to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts : the fonts in this folder will be available only to photoshop

c) - if you have a lot of fonts, they can seriously slow down performance : so try the following tip from Thanx-4-Shr'n :
Use the viewer (...) and when I find one I want to use I install it temporarily using the viewer. You can then un-install all temp fonts with the same tool with a click of a button
You need a font viewer for this - check out the GFX resources section !

2 - Installing brushes

You can put your new brushes wherever you want ( I would suggest creating a folder called "brushes" :wink: ), but they won't show up in the menu in photoshop.

You need to load them in photoshop.
Select the brush tool, then follow the instructions in this little screenshot :

In the menu, you can press load brushes or replace brushes & find the brushes you saved before.

( if you want to be fancy, press preset manager : there you can add your brushes to the standard ones : that way, you won't need to keep loading them )

3 - Installing Plugins

Most plugins have an installation routine that makes this process very simple... but some of the older plugins do not.
Plugins are .8BF files - they need to be placed in ...\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\Filters & can then be accessed by the filter menu

4 - Installing shapes

This is similar to the method used for the brushes : select the custom shape tool, then follow the screenshot

5 - Installing Layer styles

- Layer style files ( .ASL files ) - they go in photoshop CS2\presets\styles
To use them, go to the blending options menu ( where you get the options for drop shadows & everything ), then follow my screenshot :

debzie
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Post-Install Photoshop

Post by debzie » April 26th 2008 - 6:05 am

very nice help again
l had installed brushs and stuff and wondered why they didn't show up :embarrased:
l hadn't loaded them :aw: :aw:
they are all there now
going to go download some more
:bigwave:
thnx
made by sphinx-love it love it love it-ty heaps

carpe
The Sharing Sith
The Sharing Sith
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.4?)
Location: Take a left at the bathroom, 3 doors down and another left...or was that a right...Is that my Beer?

Post by carpe » May 7th 2009 - 4:44 pm

so whats different in vista?

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » May 7th 2009 - 5:04 pm

should be the same thing : photoshop is photoshop, whether it's running on XP, vista or mac

Just load up your fav brushes, shapes, etc by hitting the little down arrow in the optionbar of the tool

( fixed the pics - so just check them out for more info )

Return to “GFX Tutorials”