If your going to use Windows 8

Dedicated to gaming, hardware and software discussions.
drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
P2P Clients: eMule
Azureus

Re: If your going to use Windows 8

Post by drcoolmor » November 19th 2012 - 8:07 pm

dukster64 wrote: that I think the upgrade offer is a sweet deal (especially coming from a pirated win 7)
Boy, some of you guys are really hung up about paying for a cheap key :lol1:
I have MAK keys for this, no cracking the bios like win7. just change the install key and call MS for your code. :roll:

Kael
Elite Supremo Member
Elite Supremo Member

Post by Kael » November 20th 2012 - 5:06 pm

I've bought and been playing with Win8 for a day now and I do have my gripes with it.

My main issue is it keeps putting my second HDD in sleep mode; I disabled it from doing that in the power options but yet it still keeps doing it. :snubby:

I don't see the point in the metro desktop area, it wasn't designed for a user like me in mind. If you run a lot of programs then I can see a use for it but I only have: games, browser, email client, foobar, media player classic, ccleaner and open office installed on my PC and half of them are on the taskbar anyway.

Apps why would I use an app when there's a desktop equivalent that does the job far better?

Imo the charm bar is a decent replacement for the old win button and program files, everything in there is a lot clearer and easier to find for me at least.
Boot time is insanely fast compared to win7 and that alone is enough to make me stay with win8.

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » November 20th 2012 - 8:22 pm

you got the full price upgrade then ?

Kael
Elite Supremo Member
Elite Supremo Member

Post by Kael » November 20th 2012 - 8:55 pm

Yeah, I thought 25 quid for a legit copy was a reasonable price, saves me messing with keys and checking what updates can or cannot be downloaded in the future.

maxim

Post by maxim » November 22nd 2012 - 9:45 pm

maybe i am old (1969) but I started with 3.11 in 1995 but windows 7 will be the last OS version of Microsoft i will be using , looks like all changes are for the worse.

i think Microsoft abandons all the thinks that were good in older windows versions .

folder view , start menu, right click, send to , extensions, config files etc.

only the server version are much better.

so Android and i pad desktops with windows servers, all the world up side down? .....

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » December 29th 2012 - 4:06 pm

Well, I installed the windows 8 upgrade and my new ssd yesterday... wasn't as easy as I was expecting though (I started sweating when I switched to AHCI mode in the bios while in 7 & it then wouldn't start... then I found out that I couldn't clone my win7 partition with the tool intel provided - only allows full disk cloning... then the ssd stopped being recognized half way though the win8 install - good times :laugh: )

As for Windows 8 itself... It's a pretty strange OS

lots of improvements in the UI (very clean & crisp menus, etc), speed & the lack of start button isn't as bad as most people are saying (just stick your stuff in the metro area)...
but some strange choices (almost all of the metro apps you start with are complete sh!t - take the message tile for example : if you've got a gmail ccount, it doesn't nest the messages, so it's wildly disorganized... & the picture app - you can't pick specific folders apparently)...
and some things are nuts (want to get rid of the log-in screen if you don't need multiple accounts ? or of the start page ? good luck finding out how to do that without looking it up :laugh: )

still, if you can get your head around it, the advantages probably outweigh the problems (especially if some metro apps that are actually useful start being provided)

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » December 29th 2012 - 6:35 pm

that modern UI start screen is a good idea IMO... but there's not enough customisation options

- why can't you resize all tiles ?
- why can't you change colours/names/icons natively ?
- why can't you pin files & links directly ?

Bit annoying - you can get round those issues with stuff like oblytile, starscreen piner etc, but still - kinda lame that you can't do it directly
Looks like it's gonna be like win xp for me : skinning & modding all over the place :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Kael
Elite Supremo Member
Elite Supremo Member

Post by Kael » December 29th 2012 - 7:08 pm

How many apps and programs do you have installed? Personally, for me I still use the taskbar, but live I've mentioned before I only have 8 programs installed, so the modern UI is rather useless for me.

I won't be modding my stuff as of yet, I never like bloating down my PC installing loads of 3rd party software to customise.

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » December 29th 2012 - 7:21 pm

Not a ton so far, but I don't like having shortcuts on my desktop itself (in previous versions of windows, I'd spend a lot of time organizing the start menu into folders etc :laugh: )

But now I'm using the modern UI start screen instead of the start menu, so it's quickly filling up with shortcuts to desktop programs, files & folders (24 tiles so far)
& not being able to customize them is annoying me quite a bit :laugh:

Also: why is there no clock on the start screen ? I've just had to download one :sillyrant:
& why can't you set your own background ?

drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Azureus

Post by drcoolmor » December 29th 2012 - 8:21 pm

I had a problem with the sound when playing movies,using VLC and Classic HomeCinema.
Updated both and now movies play fine.

dcyel
Le Freak
Le Freak
P2P Clients: eMule ZZUL

Post by dcyel » December 29th 2012 - 9:35 pm

Have problems with Nero12 and Alcohol 120%. But will have my new laptop toy in the 1st week of January and maybe everything will go different on a fresh install then.

drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Azureus

Post by drcoolmor » December 29th 2012 - 9:41 pm

dcyel wrote:Have problems with Nero12 and Alcohol 120%. But will have my new laptop toy in the 1st week of January and maybe everything will go different on a fresh install then.
Using a portable nero 12 on win8 64bit with no problems..let me know if you would want it :jrc:

Return to “Games & Software Zone”