If your going to use Windows 8

Dedicated to gaming, hardware and software discussions.
Kael
Elite Supremo Member
Elite Supremo Member

Re: If your going to use Windows 8

Post by Kael » October 28th 2012 - 2:30 am

It is tempting to buy it for £25. Still I want to know for certain that you can do a clean install with the upgrade edition.

drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
P2P Clients: eMule
Azureus

Post by drcoolmor » October 28th 2012 - 3:42 am

Kael wrote:It is tempting to buy it for £25. Still I want to know for certain that you can do a clean install with the upgrade edition.
There is a little uncertainty about this....I believe its this, also you can look back 2 pages and read carefully.

A Windows 8 clean install involves removing the existing operating system installed on a partition (a previous Windows 8 installation, Windows XP, Linux, Windows 7... it doesn't matter) and then installing Windows 8 from scratch on that same drive. A clean install is also sometimes referred to as a"custom install."

Yet Microsoft forum says this:

How to do a clean install:
Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40 (US)
Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.
Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.
Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.
Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.
Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom."
Step 7: Select a disk partition for the OS in the next screen. At this point, you can create a new partition if there's enough space available, or reformat the drive.
Step 8: Continue with the installation of Windows 8 Pro.

I don't believe this is right since you still would have win7 on your hard drive to boot to!!!
Just be prepared for both scenarios.

Cyence
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: Mldonkey for Qnap

Post by Cyence » October 28th 2012 - 10:20 am

I can verify that it's possible to do a clean install with the upgrade version. Did it last night on my not-so-legal Windows 7.

The list doc mentions in his last post with the 8 steps is exactly what I did.

The windows you want to upgrade must still be on the system when you boot up with the windows 8 upgrade. Then you choose the custom installation as mentioned in step 6.
What I did next was to choose my Windows 7 partition and format it, before I continued with the installation.

In my book, that's a clean install, as there's nothing left of the old windows when you install the new one.

And it works great!

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » October 28th 2012 - 12:35 pm

I'm liking what I'm reading about the upgrade working on a pirated windows 7 - seriously tempted to buy the thing (that's a first - ain't had a legit OS since win95 :lol1: )

Howver, I understand what you're saying there Cyence mate, but i disagree (a bit) :
In my book, that's a clean install, as there's nothing left of the old windows when you install the new one.
Sounds to me like you need to have an older OS installed BEFORE you can install the upgrade - so I wouldn't call it a clean install

but I get your point that it can overwrite the windows 7 install - so let's call it a clean-ish install lol :lol1:

Kael
Elite Supremo Member
Elite Supremo Member

Post by Kael » October 28th 2012 - 12:47 pm

But he said he formatted the windows 7 partition. That sounds like a clean install to me.

I need to go and read up on the license now; in regard to how the key works with upgrading the PC and whether it is tied to the hardware and all that crap.

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » October 28th 2012 - 12:59 pm

yeah, but he also said :
The windows you want to upgrade must still be on the system when you boot up with the windows 8 upgrade
what I understand is that you need to have an older OS installed to launch the install of windows 8 (which then allows you to install/overwrite on top of the win7 partition) :dunno:
not a deal breaker by any means, but not exactly a clean install IMO - it's... an upgrade :laugh:
(you need the system builder version for a true clean install)

Let us know what you discover about the fine print Kaely - can't be bothered looking myself :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Toshi
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: eMule Xtreme

Post by Toshi » October 28th 2012 - 1:34 pm

Even if your drive is already formatted and it's empty, you can still boot from the DVD and install Windows 8.
Credit goes to dukster64 for the hot sig!

Kael
Elite Supremo Member
Elite Supremo Member

Post by Kael » October 28th 2012 - 2:41 pm

dukie wrote:what I understand is that you need to have an older OS installed to launch the install of windows 8 (which then allows you to install/overwrite on top of the win7 partition)
The way I understand it is that you need an older OS installed to launch the install of windows, but at the partition stage can delete and format the drive as wish. I have no way of knowing who is right, hence why I was wanting some clarity on the issue.
Let us know what you discover about the fine print Kaely - can't be bothered looking myself
When I said I need to, what I really meant was someone else should go find out and tell me. :laugh:
toshi wrote: Even if your drive is already formatted and it's empty, you can still boot from the DVD and install Windows 8.
I don't think you can, you need the system builder for that I thought...

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » October 28th 2012 - 3:24 pm

Kael wrote:The way I understand it is that you need an older OS installed to launch the install of windows, but at the partition stage can delete and format the drive as wish. I have no way of knowing who is right, hence why I was wanting some clarity on the issue.
Yeah, that's what I was saying dude - we're in agreement ! :laugh:

drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
P2P Clients: eMule
Azureus

Post by drcoolmor » October 28th 2012 - 5:04 pm

dukster64 wrote:I'm liking what I'm reading about the upgrade working on a pirated windows 7 - seriously tempted to buy the thing (that's a first - ain't had a legit OS since win95 :lol1: )
:wink2: that goes for me to :laugh:
But really, when you call MS and give them the codes and they give you the codes to activate....Does that not make your OS 100% legal.I had done this when office 2010 came out and never had a problem, and now I have done that with win8 and office 2013.

Cyence
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: Mldonkey for Qnap

Post by Cyence » October 28th 2012 - 9:56 pm

just to try and make things clear:
You need to have a working windows on your machine before booting up with the upgrade, be that legal or illegal windows xp/vista/7.
Once the installer has verified that you have a windows installation, you don't need it any more.
In the first menu, you can select either express installation - if you want to keep your windows settings, thereby overwriting the existing windows - or you can select custom.
In the custom installation, you can choose to format the partition with your windows on, thereby doing a completely clean install.

Hope that clears things up, Kael and dukster.

dukster64
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by dukster64 » October 28th 2012 - 10:00 pm

yep - it's all perfectly clear mate :jrc:

Return to “Games & Software Zone”