Game Over: Nintendo Takes Down “Full Screen Mario” Code

Dedicated to gaming, hardware and software discussions.
0xA110C
P2P Clients: aMule

Post by 0xA110C » May 15th 2016 - 10:16 pm

Date: May 12, 2016
Author: Ernesto
Publisher: TorrentFreak
Link: Click Here

Where: USA, Japan.
After shutting down the website of the hugely popular "Full Screen Mario" browser game, Nintendo has now nuked its actively developed code repository from GitHub. The code allowed users to play the 1985 Super Mario Bros game on their local machines and included a level editor. According to developer Josh Goldberg, his game may have inspired Nintendo to release its own "Mario Maker."
I don't need your instawebs I'm on IRC. irc.station51.net/phantom

0xA110C

Re: Game Over: Nintendo Takes Down “Full Screen Mario” Code

Post by 0xA110C » May 17th 2016 - 3:56 pm

Interestingly the takedown comes a few hours after Goldberg, who now works as a Software Development Engineer at Microsoft, highlighted Full Screen Mario’s success in an interview with Microsoft + Open Source.

Interesting timing, just like the release of “Mario Maker” which came out a few months after “Full Screen Mario” was taken down. According to the developer, his game may in fact have inspired the Nintendo release.

“I think it’s too much of a coincidence that in the fall they take down a fan site that was too popular for them, then in the spring and summer they release a trailer for this product,” he previously told The Washington Post in an interview.

“It has the same user interface I had in development, just way better, and it’s something I wish I could have made,” he added, noting that Nintendo never contacted him personally.

Now, roughly three years after Full Screen Mario was born, the project appears to have come to an end. While there’s a possibility that the project may respawn elsewhere, as there are still some forks floating around, it’s game over for the official repository.

carpe
The Sharing Sith
The Sharing Sith
P2P Clients: eMule (v0.4?)
Location: Take a left at the bathroom, 3 doors down and another left...or was that a right...Is that my Beer?

Post by carpe » May 17th 2016 - 4:02 pm

:-(

0xA110C

Post by 0xA110C » May 17th 2016 - 4:28 pm

Thanks to the nice Internet Archive, we can still download a release of the code from 29th of April and share it on ED2K ;)

Code: Select all

https://web.archive.org/web/20160429152214/https://codeload.github.com/FullScreenShenanigans/FullScreenMario/zip/master
FullScreenMario-master.zip  [7.82 Mb]

Return to “Games & Software Zone”