Windows 10 is spying on you!

Dedicated to gaming, hardware and software discussions.
Will-I-Am
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: eMule & uTorrent

Re: Windows 10 is spying on you!

Post by Will-I-Am » September 12th 2015 - 1:29 am

InfoWorld | Sep 1, 2015 - Windows 7, 8, and 10: Now all collecting user data for Microsoft
http://www.infoworld.com/article/297905 ... osoft.html
Microsoft has been pushing out updates to get Windows 7 and Windows 8 users “ready” for Windows 10, but a handful of recent updates appear to be more focused on data collection and less on features or user experience.

dcyel
Le Freak
Le Freak
P2P Clients: eMule ZZUL

Post by dcyel » September 12th 2015 - 1:38 am

Confirms what I have been stating earlier.

But this time MS is overstepping its legal boundaries because there was no mentioning in the original Eula bout this when installing Windows 7 or 8.

Think im gonna make a founded complaint to the EU commission as my privacy is invaded without my consent.

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » September 12th 2015 - 3:08 am

well, question solved. i ran update just to see.
according to that article, even the "mandatory" one is in my optional list. (just those 3 mentioned)
i didn't look there before. guess I'm good without trying.
i wonder why the mandatory one wasn't installed on mine. (3068708)
i install all important updates.

Will-I-Am
Phantom
Phantom
P2P Clients: eMule & uTorrent

Post by Will-I-Am » January 12th 2017 - 4:19 pm

Microsoft Revamps Windows 10's Privacy Settings in Creators Update
http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/mi ... pdate.html
Microsoft is making a number of changes to the operating system's privacy controls, including the elimination of the Enhanced data-collection setting.

Misterscruff
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by Misterscruff » February 10th 2017 - 3:08 pm

This is my setting's apologies I cannot remeber where I got it from......

Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> General -> Turn them all off
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> General -> Click "Manage my Microsoft Advertising and other Personlization info" log in to your account -> Click "Choose" -> Turn off the following settings: "Personalised ads in this browser" and "Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft Accounts"... Turn them both off.
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Location -> Turn it off
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Camera and Microphone -> Turn off usage by Microsoft Edge (others should be fine)
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Speech, Inking and Typing -> Make sure this is off (This is what Cortana uses)
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Account Info -> Turn it off
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Contacts and Calendar -> Should be fine to leave on
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Messaging -> Turn it off
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Radio -> Should be fine to leave on
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Other Devices -> I keep this off, I don't like syncing
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Feedback and Diagnostics -> Set these options to Never and Basic
Start -> Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps -> A lot of these shouldn't need to be running all the time. So turn off the following at the very least - Groove Music, Microsoft Edge (having this running at all times along with it's allowed use of camera and microphone just sounds suspicious to me. So this one I definitely turned off), OneNote (Unless you actually use it), People, Phone Companion, Photos, Store.

Next, click back and click Accounts... aka

Start -> Settings -> Accounts -> Click "Log in with a Local Account Instead". -> Create an account name and password. On confirmation you will automatically log out for you log back in.

Return to “Games & Software Zone”