Windows 10 is spying on you!

Dedicated to gaming, hardware and software discussions.
drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
P2P Clients: eMule
Azureus

Windows 10 is spying on you!

Post by drcoolmor » August 12th 2015 - 5:44 pm

Windows 10 is not the hero you thought it was. Like most, it has a dark side. However, quite fortunately, this dark side has an off switch. Got to love modern technology and sneaky service agreements, right?

While Windows 10 may be watching over nearly everything you do, and recording that information, the OS still packs enough improvements to make going through the steps below worth the effort. However, here's a bit of back story first.

You know that 12,000-word service agreement you didn't read? Well, it basically means that Microsoft can store your data AND disclose it should any legal issues arise, such as law enforcement investigations or major lawsuits. That's actually pretty standard nowadays, though. Here's a small segment explaining this:

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."

Do not fear, good citizen! Microsoft has included ways to opt out of these invasive features. Although, it may include getting rid of some great stuff.

Rock Paper Shotgun has the low-down on everything you need to know, but it can be summarized into four easy steps. Here we go.

Open Settings and click on Privacy. You will be greeted with a rather ridiculous number of pages to go through (13, to be exact) and you will need to turn off all of the things that may concern you. This includes the permissions that your apps have to access data. Go through all of the tabs to customize your personal spy network to your liking.
Goodbye, Cortana. Our love was fleeting, but it was a wonderful few weeks. Yes, your favorite personal assistant, and the only one that wouldn't get you in trouble with your significant other, probably shares more data than any other app. It might be time to say farewell if you want to secure your privacy.
Your web activity is probably what concerns you most. So, you should definitely click this link and opt out of Microsoft's targeted advertising service. You will need to set "Personalized ads in this browser" and “Personalized ads wherever I use my Microsoft account” to off. Google might still bombard you with personalized ads, but at least Microsoft should leave you be.
The final step is more of a scorched earth kind of thing, but you can also remove your Microsoft account entirely from your PC and create a local one instead. This prevents Microsoft from sharing your data across all of the devices that you own. A Microsoft account can be quite handy, but it's up to you.

Check out the Rock Paper Shotgun article above for a lot more information on each step.

twue
Mr Floyd
Mr Floyd

Re: Windows 10 is spying on you!

Post by twue » August 12th 2015 - 9:03 pm

i have win 10 installed on a spare HDD and intend to just use it for playing around with .... my thinking is that sooner
or later someones gonna release a copy with all the spy crap removed ... which is prob gonna take some time as its
packed with big brother stuff :sillyrant: :sillyrant:

once a decent copy is avail i may consider moving over to it but for now win 7 does me just fine

:cheers: :goodj: :sparta:

dcyel
Le Freak
Le Freak
P2P Clients: eMule ZZUL

Post by dcyel » August 12th 2015 - 9:12 pm

There is a Russian made app that destroys all spying available already.

deadbodyman
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by deadbodyman » August 12th 2015 - 11:50 pm

This is what I did with my Windows 10 upgrade...

1) Complete Win7 image backup.

2) Install the upgrade.

3) Struggle with using it.

4) Got fed up with the struggles.

5) Could NOT do a system image restore back to Win7.

6) Struggled some more to figure out why.

7) Had to use the Win10 downgrade feature (ONLY AVAILABLE FOR 30 DAYS)!

8) After the downgrade, still had all the crap the Win10 installed.

9) After the downgrade back to Win7, I was able to use my system image restore.

10) Finally got it back to the way it was, prior to the upgrade.

Now, I am not exactly sure what will happen after the 30 days, but I am sure you will need to do a full clean install from scratch.
If you are not happy with the way Win10 is working on your system, whether it be performance or friendliness, I suggest you lose it before your 30 days are up. Otherwise, you will have lots of work ahead of you. ;)

deadbodyman
Phantom VIP
Phantom VIP

Post by deadbodyman » August 13th 2015 - 4:52 am

Interesting.... are these guys legit?
DoNotSpy10 is the world’s first antispy tool for Windows 10. Its straight-forward user interface allows "you" to manage how Windows 10 respects "their" privacy.
Who do they refer to as their privacy? Microsofts'?
I would have said, "you and your privacy"

Just asking. :wink2:

hrmwrm

Post by hrmwrm » August 13th 2015 - 9:21 am

although poorly worded, after reading a few times i would think it references "their" as the user.

drcoolmor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
P2P Clients: eMule
Azureus

Post by drcoolmor » August 13th 2015 - 11:50 am

one can take the "turn off things" route at the the beginning of install for Windows 10 by choosing a ]custom installand not an express install and turning things off in the custom install. In the custom install one has a choice to either create the Microsoft account (for which you will provide information) or have the account local (for which you will not provide information). If the Microsoft account is not created then information is not sent to Microsoft and as a result of creating the the local account instead many things are automatically disabled (but you can disable them later after install also). The local account is basically what people have been using already all these years when they log on to their computer. To choose the custom install Image

Also be careful of DoNotSpy10....it may shut off something you may want!
Current Features

Disable Telemetry
Disable Biometrics
Disable Handwriting Data Sharing
Disable Handwriting Error Reporting
Disable Application Telemetry
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder
Disable enabling Lock Screen Camera
Disable and Reset Cortana
Disable Location
Disable Sensors
Disable Web Search
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet Access
Defer Windows Upgrades
Disable App Notifications
Disable Password Reveal Button
Disable and Reset Advertising ID
Disable SmartScreen Filter for URLs
Disable Sending Writing Info
Disable Access to Language List
Disable App Access to Location Info
Disable App Access to Camera
Disable App Access to Microphone
Disable Getting to know me
Disable App Access to Account Info
Disable App Access to Calendar
Disable App Access to Messages
Disable App Access to Radios
Disable Sync With Devices
Disable Windows Feedback Requestes
Disable Windows Update Sharing
Disable Windows Update for other Products
Disable WiFi Sense
Disable Windows Defender
Disable Automatic Windows Updates
Disable OneDrive
Disable Automatic Driver Update

It’s freeware, but it installs Open Candy software on your PC, which will display ads automatically in other apps.
Last edited by drcoolmor on August 15th 2015 - 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ingolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
P2P Clients: eMule Morph

Post by Ingolf » August 13th 2015 - 4:07 pm

Small advice... stay far far away from Win X - time to go Linux!

Also read the terms and conditions carefully... for once :laugh:
In that agreement, you agree to share your private home folders too. meaning your documents, pictures etc are fair game for M$.

Ingolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ingolf » August 13th 2015 - 4:35 pm

Ohh, another nail for the win x coffin...

Windows 10 can disable pirated games and unauthorised hardware
By signing EULA, you have allowed Windows 10 to disable counterfeit games and hardware that are not authorized

According to the Microsoft’s new Services Terms effective August 1st, Microsoft can stop you from using unauthorized hardware or from playing counterfeit games. Microsoft services such as Office 365, Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive, Xbox Live, MSN, and Bing are also covered by the new services terms.

The terms are also applicable to software using a Microsoft account, which would mean that it would also have an effect on most Windows 10 users. Majority of the users use Microsoft’s latest OS with an account from the Redmond company, even though when they have an option to use it without an account.

Microsoft now clearly states in the terms that the updates released could have some serious effects. In the terms, the company states it might, “download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.”

Further, there is no clarity on what the company means when it says unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. It could mean that the company may disable e.g. Xbox controllers that are uncertified by Microsoft. There is more clarity on counterfeit games, as this is pirated software.

Non Windows 10 users could fall prey to these new terms. The Microsoft’s new terms are also applicable to updates to Skype, OneDrive app, OneNote app, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Games, Windows Live Mail, Maps, and Windows Movie Maker.

There has a lot of murmuring and talks hovering over the privacy settings of Windows 10 from the time of its release. For instance, when the operating system is installed, it uses the default express settings, which according to some users contain some settings regarded as privacy concerns, such as the use of Cortana, the use of a Microsoft account, automatic updates, and the accumulating of telemetry and privacy by Microsoft.
source
:yikes:

Ingolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ingolf » August 19th 2015 - 9:34 pm

To those poor souls who has already "upgraded", there is now a new tool to disable (most) spying apps & services.

The tools is called "O&O ShutUp10", it's free and portable.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

You can also add the following to your HOSTS file
127.0.0.1 vortex.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net
127.0.0.1 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
127.0.0.1 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 survey.watson.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.live.com
127.0.0.1 watson.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 compatexchange.cloudapp.net
127.0.0.1 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
127.0.0.1 a-0001.a-msedge.net
127.0.0.1 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 65.55.108.23
127.0.0.1 65.39.117.230
127.0.0.1 23.218.212.69
127.0.0.1 134.170.30.202
127.0.0.1 137.116.81.24
127.0.0.1 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 corp.sts.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 pre.footprintpredict.com
127.0.0.1 204.79.197.200
127.0.0.1 23.218.212.69
127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 feedback.windows.com
127.0.0.1 feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
127.0.0.1 feedback.search.microsoft.com
But it will almost be in vain, since the next patch/fix will utilise new servers with new IP's.

Good luck :wink2:

dcyel
Le Freak
Le Freak
P2P Clients: eMule ZZUL

Post by dcyel » August 19th 2015 - 9:41 pm

Well they tried to install it more than a dozen times on my pc but never succeeded. My little vengeance on them :laugh:

Return to “Games & Software Zone”